But so far this year, my favorite rebut has got to be I Hope Rick Santorum.
Instead of addressing Santorum's policies and criticizing them, or drawing funny faces and comments onto photos of him, or making up song lyrics to awful pop music that poke fun at his stances—
Instead of all those things, IHRS merely posts things that the creators and submitters hope that Rick Santorum does, says, or feels, all of them things not to be desired.
They're hilarious, they're simple, they're sometimes incredibly crass — but how do they work so well? How do they achieve their purpose of just making us dislike Santorum even more than we already do? (Using "we" very freely here.)
Is it because the kairos is perfect, and just as the campaign is revving up on a sprint to November, IHRS merely correlates with the outlandishness of Santorum's candidacy?
Is it because the posts are logical in that they apply to the audience, bringing into play well-known references to films and songs, and sometimes just referring to life's every day tasks which we find so dull and daunting?
Or is it because no matter how silly they seem, they're poking and prodding at his ethos, cutting him down so that he's no longer a potential presidential candidate, but rather a person on our level, who we want dealing with our problems and relating to our films and songs, and failing miserably?
Whatever the case may be, I Hope Rick Santorum is a successful meme which I believe will be around as long as Rick Santorum continues to make painful public appearances, as well as speak.




Wow, I had never seen this site before. Effective integration of examples to move along your point.
ReplyDeleteThe world of memes is an interesting one for sure. I especially loved the "I hope Rick Santorum says 'bless you' by mistake."
ReplyDeleteI literally just cracked up in class. Love this tumblr. I hope Rick Santorum has seen "I hope Rick Santorum."
ReplyDeleteI agree with Conor that the bless you one is epic, but my favorite is the homework one.
ReplyDeleteWow! This is great!!!! It is putting Santorum on the level of American people and not a candidate and it is moving people's point across. Sweet website and great find!
ReplyDelete